The cripps in Hong Kong Hong Kong, Repulse Bay, Cripps, Crippo, Mark Cripps, Joss Cripps

Zai Jian 再見 (Hope to see you again soon)

A diary about our expedition to Hong Kong

Google

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Getting bored of sushi - but whale bacon? NO THANKS




I've been a vegetarian for nearly six months now. I don't miss meat at all - apart from, that is, when Sofia or I cook bacon or roast pork for the boys - tempting but have not yet succumbed. I wonder if I'd be able to cope in the UK given the number of roasts I'd be exposed to.

By accident, Joss is veering towards no-meat too. Today she cooked us a beautiful lasagne made from soya mince ... the kids did not blink.

I do, however, find lunches hard to navigate in Hong Kong. There are very few salad bars. Getting a good sarny is near-on impossible. For lunch, I'm dependent on either cheese & branston pickle or department store foodhall sushi.

Consuming too much cheese (coupled with creates of airplane food) is beginning to add a few pounds to me again -- 7 months ago I was 11 1/2 stone ... now creeping back up on the wrong side of 12 1/2 stone. The books (body mass index) suggest I should be less than 12 stone. I'd be happy with 12 stone dead. Goal for Christmas. As is getting rid of my re-developing boy boobs as spotted in this photo of me in Tokyo recently.

Talking of Japan .. I'm getting a bit bored of sushi to be honest ... there's only so much raw fish one can eat. Having said that, we got taken to Nobu Hong Kong by our visitors Kate and Giles last week - was great (TOO generous guys!!).

Here's a halfway house - something I saw in a Department store in Tokyo on my last trip: "Whale bacon!". I kid you not. Smoked/cured streaky whale meat rashers. No, not for me. Unthinkable. Monsters.

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home