The cripps in Hong Kong Hong Kong, Repulse Bay, Cripps, Crippo, Mark Cripps, Joss Cripps

Zai Jian 再見 (Hope to see you again soon)

A diary about our expedition to Hong Kong

Google

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Clear skies and stars in Hong Kong





Unusually, during November and December, we were blessed with several clear sky days and nights. For the most part, the skies are cloudy with monsoon-laiden puff; or worse: bad smog - before November last year, I think we've had less than 10 starry nights in the 2+ years we've lived here (naive me shipped my telescope out here -- it's not been out of its box). There are two theories for the recent clear skies, one is the dominance of Southerly winds (blowing clear-sky weather from the sea over us, and then to the mainland). And the other is the impact of the recession -- many Chinese factories on the mainland are either shutting down, or else are on 1/2 day working -- meaning we get less rubbish in the skies pumped down to us.

As you may know, on 13th December 2008, the moon was the closest it's been to the Earth in about 15+ years. Unbelievably, it was a clear sky that night and the moon dominated the sky. I took a few shots, but they don't do the phenomenon justice at all.

On 22nd July this year, there's a full solar eclipse -- best seen in China from Shanghai - but also from Northern India, Nepal, Bhutan and Southern Japan. I'll try my very best to be there to see it (following on from the disastrous attempts to witness the Cornwall eclipse in 2000) - come join us!

On one flight back from Shanghai recently, I happened to have my camera with me - which was v. fortunate as I had a GoogleEarth-type view of the whole of Hong Kong. When you see it all laid out like this, you realise a) just how tight-knit it all is and b) what a good decision it was to move the airport away from the City. I only flew in/out of the old airport once ("Kai Tak") - and it was every bit as hairy as the stories tell you! We have a pilot friend who flies Airbuses for Cathay Pacific -- I was asking about Kai Tak, and he told me flying in/out of the 'new' airport can be equally hairy ... strong cross winds! I'll make sure I'm belted up tightly next time. Can't recall if I blogged about it - but last Summer I was flying back from somewhere in a 747 ... it was in the middle of the typhoon season and we were delayed by a few hours because the winds were so strong in HK. The pilot warned us the landing would be a bit "uncomfortable". OMG, three attempts to land were made. The middle attempt was aborted (at a guess) less than 200ft above the runway. Not a pleasant experience, I can tell you. But if you're going to land in those conditions, best to be in the hands of guys/gals who do it all of the time ie Cathay.

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home