The cripps in Hong Kong Hong Kong, Repulse Bay, Cripps, Crippo, Mark Cripps, Joss Cripps

Zai Jian 再見 (Hope to see you again soon)

A diary about our expedition to Hong Kong

Google

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Between the posts


Our goalie moved to Dubai in November to take up a job as chief engineer managing a new hotel build. As we haven't been able to find a replacement for love nor money, our captain has been pulling names out of a hat for us field players to take a turn between the posts each week. With four of us left to be picked, the pressure was getting too much and I was petrified I would pull the short straw when we played The Dutchies, top of the league, hit the ball like bullets and are frankly Amazonian. So when I saw we had a relatively easy team to play, I volunteered.

I spent the morning of the match on the internet, googling top tips for goalies. I wish I had researched how to put on the kit. Cometh the hour, I was faced with about 15 pieces of kit, all smelling fairly ripe, - the kit had got soaked the previous week and not dried properly (nice!) and absolutely no idea which part of the body to strap them to..

Here's the first attempt - actually those bowl like bits and the flappy bit hanging down between my legs where eventually resituated to cover my buttocks, but I'm still not convinced that was right either as I could barely move, so trussed up was I.
I am pleased to report I made two good saves, conceded one goal - the team defending heroically to produce a respectable one all draw.

One of those 'experiences' I won't be repeating and boy, have even more respect for our defence, thanks Sandy, Dreamy and Nat and Sophie who took one on the bonce...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home