The cripps in Hong Kong Hong Kong, Repulse Bay, Cripps, Crippo, Mark Cripps, Joss Cripps

Zai Jian 再見 (Hope to see you again soon)

A diary about our expedition to Hong Kong

Google

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Shanghai MagLev : fastest train in the world






I spent an extra RMB100 (about £7) to go on the MagLev train from Shanghai to the airport. (RMB100 was for a seat in the First Class cabin - it was empty apart from me. The other classes were full who paid RMB50 for the same trip albeit standing up with 100 people in the carriage).

My God. Best £7 I've spent in ages! It's fast! See my open jaw.

430kph - 270mph. It covers the 19 mile jouney in a blistering 7 mins. AWESOME.

It took 10 billion RMB (1.33 billion US dollars) and only 2.5 years to complete the 30.5 km (19 mi) track. Can't imagine it taking only 2.5 years in the UK to build.

Some put offs -- the low tech driver's cabin (complete with low tech VDU - on-floor power extension cord! - ordinary office chair and flask of tea). As far as I could see, he did nothing apart from press the start and stop buttons. Not much you can do on a single track @ 430kph I suppose.

Also put off by the dead something stuck to the train's nose! Too gruesome to show I'm afraid.

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home