The cripps in Hong Kong Hong Kong, Repulse Bay, Cripps, Crippo, Mark Cripps, Joss Cripps

Zai Jian 再見 (Hope to see you again soon)

A diary about our expedition to Hong Kong

Google

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Billy's first 'proper' soccer game - LA Galaxy




I've been looking forward to taking Billy (and now Archie) to his first proper football game.

I remember, so clearly, when Dad took me to my first game. It was West Ham versus Stoke, or was it Southampton? In the Autumn of 1969, or was it sometime in 1970?

Hmmm.

Actually, I do recall it was at Upton Park. We had Bovril. The terraces were high and noisy. I made the most noise (@ 6 or 7 the same as at 44). And West Ham lost of course.

We went to see the football at HK International stadium. I warned Billy the ground would be packed and very very loud.

I forgot about the Asian crowd mentality (polite and subdued compared to England/the English) and I forgot about the Beckham effect. LA Galaxy Vs an HK invited team may not have been the most inspiring game to de-blood your eldest son on. The ground was half full - and then full of girls screaming every time our Dave touched the ball. Billy said "it's not very loud is it?".

Well, it was 2-2 after full time. LA Galaxy lost 5-4 on penalties. We left before 90 minutes .... first time I've done that in years and years.

Must take him to Upton Park in 2009 - a floodlit night game.

BTW, with his favourite Brazil T-shirt on, I think he's the double of Joss' brother Paddy.

M

1 Comments:

At 12:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story, definitley take Billy to see West Ham next season, i took my 11 year old boy in January, he loved it and now he is on my back all the time to take him again.
And get Billy an England shirt, Brazil!!! tut tut..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home